Did you know that an avocado is classed as a berry and the average size of an avocado is equal to the size of a 16-week old baby inside a womb?
I bet you’ll never look at an avocado the same again after them interesting fun facts and if they haven’t grossed you out you’ll be pleased to know avocados have many health benefits such as being packed with nutrients, help with weight loss and help control blood sugar levels.
Having an avocado based meal or half an avocado with your meal will help you feel satisfied for longer and reduce the chances of you snacking.
Simple Three Ingredient Smoothie
Have you ever checked out new healthy recipes but been put off by the long list of ingredients? Me too. But eating healthy shouldn’t have to be complicated or expensive. If three ingredients and five minutes of your time sound appealing to you then you should try replacing your breakfast with this simple avocado based smoothie.
- 1 Avocado
- 2 Bananas
- 400ml milk
- Add all ingredients to your blender.
- Blend until smooth and not lumpy.
Prawn, Mango & Avocado Salad
Eating salads day in day out can be boring and can often lead to a cheat meal or two. Instead of eating your average salad try mix it up with different flavours and textures like this mango and prawn salad.
- 1lb of medium prawns
- 1tbsp of vegetable oil
- Mixed Leaf salad
- 1 avocado
- 1 mango
- Half a red onion
- Extra Virgin olive oil
- 2 limes, juiced
- Pinch of sugar
- Pinch of Cumin
- Heat oil in a large pan and cook the prawns.
- In a salad bowl mix together the mixed leafs, avocado, mango and red onion.
- Then make the dressing by mixing the olive oil, lime, sugar (optional) and cumin.
- Mix all together and enjoy.
Spicy Chicken & Avocado Wrap
Sometimes being on the go and wanting to live a healthy lifestyle can be extremely tuff. Especially when you can grab a cheeseburger for 99p, prepping meals in the morning or the night before can help you live the lifestyle you want and stop any temptation to quickly grab anything on the go.
- 1 Chicken breast
- Half a lime, squeezed
- Half a tsp of mild chilli powder
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 tsp of olive oil
- 2 wraps
- 1 avocado
- 1 roasted red pepper
- Marinate the chicken in the freshly squeezed lime juice, chilli powder and garlic.
- Heat the oil in the pan, once heated slow cook the chicken.
- Optional – Warm Wraps up and red peppers.
- Squash the avocado into the wraps and add the peppers, chicken and a sprinkle of coriander.
Avocado & Hummus Dip
Sometimes a small change to our diets can result in weight loss. Snacking on junk between meals can often play a part in weight gain which is why it is important to stock up on the snacks for in-between meals. Hummus mixed with avocado and carrot/cucumber sticks is perfect for late night temptations!
- 1 Avocado
- 400g of chickpeas
- 1 garlic clove
- 1-2 lemons, juiced
- Half tsp of tabasco
- Half tsp of cumin
- Salt (optional)
- Options to serve with Cucumber, Carrots, Rice cakes, Pita bread and salad.
- Blend all of the ingredients in a blender until no longer lumpy.
- Empty dip into a bowl.
- Cover the bowl with cling film and chill in the fridge for a while.
Tip – How the pick the perfect avocado:
After reading this article you can say goodbye to them disappointing moments when cutting open a brown slimy avocado. To avoid this disappointment in the future all you need to do is check the stem. If you peel back the cap of it and it comes away easy with green underneath you’ve got yourself a good avocado!